Essential Mover's Compliance Numbers

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Long Distance Relocation and other Moving topics.

What licenses does my mover need to move me out of state?

Essential Mover's Compliance Numbers

If you are moving long distance or to another state, make sure the long distance moving company you choose has an: ICC number, MC number and US DOT number.
If you are moving to another location within the same state, the moving company should have a P.U.C. license. These are numbers given by the federal government to assure moving trucks observe guidelines and safety regulations when crossing state borders.

Ask your mover if they have all the proper paperwork and licenses for your move, so there will be no delays with your possessions arriving safely to your new destination.

Call the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to help you evaluate the moving companies reputation and to check if there are any complaints placed about the moving company you are considering.

Please note: Laws regarding moving licenses that moving companies must have are different between states. The moving licenses ICC, MC, US DOT and PUC are general moving licenses for moving companies and may vary state to state.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Moving Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Christina Chan