A Checklist for Moving Out
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Moving Tips and other Moving topics.
What are some good tips for moving out?
If you are moving out, follow these tips on moving to get the job done right:
- Make arrangements with your landlord or realtor for moving out of the old home and into the new one.
- One month before moving, pick up a change-of-address kit or go online to the U.S. Postal Service to be sure your mail is forwarded to the new address.
- Supply your new address to your friends and family, banks, healthcare providers, credit companies, insurance companies, and employers.
- Make arrangements to transfer your insurance, utilities, telephone, cable/satellite, Internet, garbage, and recycling services.
- If necessary, close or transfer bank accounts and PO boxes.
- If you are moving out-of-state, arrange to collect birth records, dental records, health records, legal documents, and school records.
- Collect important documents in a file box to keep with you during the move.
- Make lists for what you'd like to move, sell, or donate.
- Get moving quotes and decide if you will pay for the full move or do a portion of it yourself to save money.
- Find out exactly what the moving company will move and what kinds of services they'll provide. Some moving companies offer additional services and tips on packing, tips on moving out, and advice for coordinating your move.
- Schedule a moving time that works with your lease or closing date.
- Purchase boxes and moving supplies.
- Decide if you will do the cleaning or hire someone.
- Make travel arrangements to get to your new home.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.